Knights of Columbus
Knights of Columbus
Knights of Columbus Motto
As Knights of Columbus, we’re grateful to you for sending us your husbands, fathers, sons, nephews, neighbors and friends. We’re proud to call these men brothers and friends as well.
The parish and surrounding community has generously supported our Lenten Fish Fries, which comprise the bulk of our fund-raising. We are deeply grateful for that support and we hope to see you all again this coming Lent. Those events have become a great bonding experience for our parish and fund our charitable works throughout the year.
We try to give back both as a group and as individuals. Our members are generous with their time not only as Knights, but in a variety of volunteer capacities at St. Patrick.
Over the past decade, through fish fries and other fund-raisers, we have raised more than $150,000 to support things like parish facility projects, food pantry donations, wheelchair ramps and contributions to help special needs children.
In support of the Church, the Knights have:
- Coordinated the parking at the Summer’s End Fair
- Financially supported seminarians and female religious preparing for final vows
- Contributed to the priest retirement fund
In support of our local community, Knights have:
- Raised more than $55,000 in recent years through our Tootsie Roll campaign to help mentally handicapped children through organizations like the Special Olympics, the Autism Society of Oakland County, St. Francis Camp and Angel’s Place
- Contributed almost $30,000 in recent years to the Open Door Outreach Food Pantry, the St. Vincent de Paul Society and our parish Christian Service ministry
- Sponsored a blood drive to spread the gift of life
- Contributed money and clothing to Holy Cross Children’s Services, a social service outreach to poor families
- Supported a Coats for Kids program to provide new winter jackets to needy children
In support of our families and youth, we:
- Attend Mass together quarterly to celebrate corporate communion
- Hold a wives appreciation dinner to acknowledge the importance of our wives and families to our council
- Organize family events like a fall hayride, a Christmas party and other social gatherings
- Sponsor an annual spelling bee with prizes to encourage students to study hard
- Sponsor an annual free-throw competition to allow parish athletes to compete against one another with the chance to move on to regional and state competitions
- Host an ice cream social after Mass on the Feast of the Assumption
- Sponsored a special needs camper to attend St. Francis Camp
To demonstrate our commitment to the Right to Life we:
- Pray the Rosary before council meetings and lead the Rosary several times a year after Mass to promote a Culture of Life
- Sponsor students to attend the March for Life in Washington D.C.
- Help fund the Fr. Michael McGivney chair in Life Ethics at Sacred Heart Major Seminary
- Provided more than $3,000 to crisis pregnancy centers that offer young women alternatives to abortion and assistant with things like diapers, formula and baby clothes
We do these things joyfully because we like working together to help others. While charity is the first principle of our order, unity and fraternity also are important. We spend time together with fun events like an annual deer hunting trip, a golf outing and other adventures that help us bond as brothers.
We encourage all Catholic men who are 18 or older, to join us in our work and fun. Being a Knight of Columbus member is a rewarding experience. Members of our council donate the time they can to our causes. Some Knights spend a lot of time, others less so because of other commitments. We understand everyone is busy and we are grateful for any amount of time men spend helping others.